From an American Red Cross, Bay Area Chapter press release:
The American Red Cross Bay Area Chapter is currently seeking nominations for the Hero Awards which recognizes members of the community who have shown courage, dedication, and character through acts of heroism and kindness. The deadline to submit nominations is July 18, 2012.
These people could be your neighbors, co-workers, friends, or family.
The Bay Area Chapter will hold its 2012 Alameda County Heroes Breakfast on Sept. 21, 2012 at the Hilton Oakland Airport in Oakland.
Alameda County residents are encouraged to nominate a hero for one of the following categories:
- Life-Saving Hero: An adult or youth who has performed an extraordinary lifesaving act, using skills such as CPR or first aid.
- Act of Courage Hero: An adult or youth who has performed an extraordinary act of courage.
- Act of Kindness & Philanthropy Hero: An adult or youth who has shown an extreme act of kindness or selflessness.
- Community Service Hero, Individual: An adult or youth who has performed great community service.
- Community Service Hero, Organization: A business or organization that has performed great community service.
- Animal Rescue Hero: An animal that has protected a human in a time of need or a person who has rescued an animal from a traumatic situation.
Heroes award recipients will be selected by a committee of Alameda County community leaders. All nominees must work or reside in Alameda County, although the heroic acts may have occurred elsewhere. The heroic act must have occurred within 12 months prior to the nomination deadline.
The Bay Area Chapter Heroes website at www.heroesredcrossbayarea.org has more details on the event, purchasing tickets, as well as a nomination form.
For more information about the Hero Awards or to attend and/or become a sponsor of the Heroes Breakfast, please contact Helen Knudson directly at (510) 865-7903 or firstname.lastname@example.org.