Five Things appears Mondays on Alameda Patch and offers a window into what's happening on the Island in the week ahead. Look also for Patch's Weekend Things feature on Thursday. Send ideas for Five Things to email@example.com.
- The rain doesn’t seem to want to go away this spring. Let’s hope for a break in the clouds Tuesday evening for the garden party, a for . The event features live music, appetizers and cocktails concocted by that include ingredients from the nursery’s garden. Tickets are $75.
- The at Encinal and Alameda high schools , and prospects for coming up with the funding are looking grim. Pool supporters are mustering the troops for Thursday evening with the school district and city officials to discuss the issue. Starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Alameda High cafeteria.
- If you’re trying to get into or out of town on Park Street Wednesday, plan for delays. The city will be restriping the street from Lincoln Avenue to the Park Street Bridge between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. and the street will be down to one lane. Just take some deep breaths and smile at the anxious people trying to speed down to or a downtown business.
- I don’t know much about graphic novels, but the ones drawn by Oakland’s look pretty cool. In his interactive books, somehow he manages to offer readers hundreds of options for choosing the direction of the plot. He’ll discuss his latest book, Empire State, at Tuesday evening.
- Meetings roundup: The Alameda meets Tuesday; the agenda includes a quarterly report on sales tax revenues that compares favorably with a year ago and includes an interesting comparison with other East Bay cities. Nothing obviously dramatic on the agenda, but this is Alameda, so you never know. Also meeting this week (with similarly routine agendas) include the Monday, Wednesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Plan ahead: Crews from HGTV’s Curb Appeal have been spending a lot of time in Alameda over the past several months, fixing up several local homes as well as installing a outside the . The shows filmed here will finally be shown Memorial Day weekend, with one episode May 28 and another May 29.