Five Things appears Mondays on Alameda Patch and offers a window into what's happening on the Island in the week ahead. Look also for Patch's Weekend Things feature on Thursday. Send ideas for Five Things to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lots of Alamedans are excited that to be the location for the Lawrence Berkeley National Labs expansion. Come out to for the idea Wednesday at an . There’s a barbecue at 6 p.m. at the former parade grounds at Alameda Point with the public meeting beginning at 7 p.m. across the street in the Antiques by the Bay preview theater.
- Bring the kids out to the library Thursday afternoon for some old-fashioned Western fun with , who does cowgirl tricks such as trick roping, whip cracking and also cracking jokes.
- If you haven’t seen , you really must. Fun music, guys (and gals) in fake beards. They’re having a CD release party Thursday night at .
- Some of the best, weirdest costumes in the came from the people. They must have a lot of fun. Join them Thursday night, when the theme is Beach Blanket Bingo. UPDATED: This week's bingo is sold out, but next month's Bollywood themed bingo on August 11 has tickets.
- Meetings: The Planning Board meeting Monday includes discussion of the Boatworks project for housing on Clement Street. The hospital district board also meets that night, and will officially levy the $298 parcel tax for the year. The City Council has a Tuesday special meeting to discuss Harbor Bay Isle Associates’ proposal for a land swap with the golf course. Finally, the meets Wednesday.
Plan ahead: The annual at is on Sunday, July 17. Theyll have wine tasting (of course), appetizers from every eating establishment you can think of, a kids’ entertainment area and live music. It’s the organization’s biggest moneymaker of the year, $20 suggested donation.