Five Things appears Mondays on Alameda Patch and offers a window into what's happening on the Island in the week ahead. Look also for Patch's Weekend Things on Thursday. Send ideas for Five Things to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apparently were so much fun at that they’re now starting the week with some cocktail-shaking for charity. will feature a well-known Alamedan muddling the Cuban beverage each week, with tips going to the person’s favorite charity. Tonight’s bartender is Joyce Guy, pouring on behalf of the .
- Just had some amazing organic strawberries on my cereal this morning, reminding me that it’s time to get out to the farmers' market to keep me in smoothies and shortcake. Don’t forget to stop by Alameda’s Tuesday morning (it’s also there on Saturday).
- Gotten a little tired of seeing the same old décor around the house? is holding a workshop Wednesday with a decorator who will share ideas about how to perk things up. They’re calling it , but keep in mind that Mastick’s events are open to .
- Alameda’s group gets together Thursday at to talk about a cool concept called gleaning, in which volunteers pick fruit from people’s trees and bring it to a food bank for distribution.
- Meetings: The City Council meets Tuesday, with an agenda that includes appointment of two people to the Planning Board and a report from Acting City Manager Lisa Goldman about the emergency response to the on Memorial Day. The board for Alameda Hospital meets tonight (Monday), with an agenda that includes reports on a tight budget that will require some staff furlough days and negotiations with federal officials to stave off a potential loss of more than $2 million in long-term dollars. The meets Wednesday, but its agenda isn’t available yet. Finally, the meets Thursday.
Plan ahead: The city is holding some community meetings to plan the future of parks, community gardens and urban agriculture. One is on June 15 at Leydecker Park on Bay Farm, the second is on June 16 at .