Need to Know appears every weekday on Alameda Patch. Send tips for future Five Things to email@example.com.
- This will likely not be news to you, but Thanksgiving is just a few days away. Find out what your neighbors are doing for the holiday in this very sweet and fall-themed Patch person-on-the-street .
- The has been collecting turkeys this week and Alamedans responded to an online challenge to donate for the cause, helping the turkey meter hit 804, rising quickly of 1,000 turkeys and hams for both the Thanksgiving and December holidays.
- The ' annual is in full swing at local parks, sign up by Dec. 17.
- The is a great resource here in Alameda, chock full of history, great views of the San Francisco Bay and just plain gigantic coolness. But its keepers need money to maintain it. If you like the Oakland Raiders, a way to buy tickets and benefit the USS Hornet Museum at the same time.
- It's looking like cold and rain early this week, letting up with sunshine for Thanksgiving and the day after. Then the rain shows up again. So plan for a long walk or a hike on one of those days when it's dry.
Plan ahead: There are still tickets available for the amazing Pixar exhibit at the Oakland Museum of California on Wednesday (the museum is closed today, Tuesday and Thursday). There are also tickets for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.