Malaria is a deadly disease that kills a child every 60 seconds. Bed Nets, at $10, are the most cost efficient way to save lives. They have been proven to be 98% effective and have reduced deaths from malaria by 1/3 since the year 2000."Nothing But Nets" is a global, grassroots campaign that partners with UNICEF and the World Health Organization to raise awareness and funding to fight malaria.
The Red Cross Clubs, Key Clubs, and Interact Clubs of Alameda’s high schools have partnered up with the Nothing But Nets campaign to host this walkathon around Alameda in an effort to eradicate malaria and buy more bed nets. Our goal is to buy 2,014 bed nets by 2014. Join “The Network” and Contribute to Save a Life. Ask your community to sponsor you in the walk.
This is open to anyone who is interested regardless of age so bring anyone along. A registration fee of $20 is required to participate. Choose between a 3 mile or 5 mile walk around Alameda's Bay Farm Island.
- Registration begins at 8am to collect entry forms and a $20 registration fee.
- All donations from your sponsors will be collected at registration with your list names of your sponsors.
- A piece of ribbon will be distributed at registration to identify yourself as a walkathon participant.
- The walk will begin at 9am.
- Chris Helfrich, the CEO of the “Nothing But Nets” campaign will be attending and speaking more about the cause.
- Prizes will be awarded to the participants who raises the most money from their sponsors.
- Water stations will be along the route and refreshments will be at the end.
- Make any checks payable to “Nothing But Nets”.
- Any donations will be accepted and tax deductible.
- A map of the walkathon route is on the entry form.
- Free Citizen’s CPR session available for anyone interested.
You can get an entry form here(the 2 photos on this page) or from any Red Cross Club, Key Club, or Interact Club member at Alameda High, Encinal High, or ASTI. For more information and confirmation of attendance, please contact Joanne Robinson at (510) 523-7150.