Most of us are excited about starting 2013 feeling great! So...the last thing any of us needs is an accident or personal setback. Many injuries can be avoided by following these simple suggestions:
1. Notice when you are about to walk up or down a flight of stairs. Pause all other multi-tasking activities, (i.e. searching for keys, talking on the phone) and use a handrail when one is available.
2. When you lift heavy items like groceries or a child; inhale deeply then exhale as you actually pick up your item(s). This should help activate your abdominal muscles, which can help protect your back.
3. Move with extra care during times when you may be prone to dizziness such as: if your blood sugar is low, during emotional stress, while experiencing a cold, flu or menstrual cycle, when drinking alcohol or taking medications, or after bending down or leaning over with your head below your heart (examples: tying your shoe, or picking something up from the floor).
4. Prepare yourself before starting to drive a car or other vehicle. Take a few deep slow breathes. Try to clear your mind as much as possible and prepare to concentrate only on the challenge of driving carefully.
5. Before getting out of bed in the morning, stretch and move your muscles, especially in your feet, ankles, legs and hips before you stand up. This is particularly important if you have problems with circulation.
The most important advice is to pay attention to your body and surroundings as much as possible. A few extra moments of awareness can make life much healthier and more fun!