This is it Alameda, it's finally here. Tonight is the Opening Ceremonies for the 2012 Summer Olympics held this year in London. I'm not going to bore you with another long article about how much I love the Olymics. Instead, I'm smply going to post five of my all-time favorite Olympic moments. I had to narrow them down so I chose from only American athletes and from only Summer Olympic years.
So even if you choose not to sit glued to your TV tonight for over five hours like some people, a-hem, you can watch these clips and have your own pre-party celebration.
Judy Judy's Top 5 Summer Olympic Moments (in no particular order):
1. "I know all about hard work and sticking in there. Times aren't always going to be fabulous. There are rough times but you work through them."—Kerri Strug:
2. "The Americans? We are going to smash them. That is what we came here for."—The 2008 French Men's 4x100 Relay Team
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/playlist/swimming/nbc-top-moments-best-of-swimming.html (They're all great videos but see #2 out of the 5 videos listed. US Men Win 4x100m Free Relay.)
3. "He was so good he whacked his head on the diving board and still won Olympic gold. So dominant that the Chinese used films of his dives to turn themselves into the sport’s number one nation."—Alex Spink
4. "Life is often compared to a marathon, but I think it is more like a being a sprinter; long stretches of hard work punctuated by brief moments in which we are given the opportunity to preform at our best."—Michael Johnson
5. "If you even dream of beating me you’d better wake up and apologize."—Muhammad Ali