The Alameda Recreation and Park Department recently posted a new Dog Exercise Area Rules sign at the Alameda Small Dog Park near 8th Street and Portola Avenue.
A few new rules have been added and some have been tweaked.
- Dogs must be vaccinated and legally licenced.
- Handlers must by at least 15 years old.
- Children under the age of 8 are not permitted in off-leash dog areas.
- Children ages 9 to 15 must be accompanied by an adult. The previous sign, which can still be found at the dog park for larger dogs just states that those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Violating these rules is considered a misdemeanor and can result in citations and/or expulsion from the park.
- The City of Alameda is not responsible for injuries or illnesses of dogs and/or their handlers. The signs say to enter at your own risk.
To compare the two signs, check photos of them shown above.
What do you think of these new rules? Are they necessary? What have your experiences at the Alameda dog parks been like?