At least one family is displaced after a floor furnace fire caused around $50,000 is damages to an apartment, according to an Alameda Fire Department official.
At around 4:58 p.m. firefighters reponded to a fire caused by a floor furnace at a four-unit apartment building on the 2100 block of San Jose Avenue, Capt. Jim Colburn told Alameda Patch.
The floor furnace started a rug on fire, which spread to the surrounding floor and structural area.
Firefighters used power saws to open up the floor and take the heater out. The damages, estimated to be about $50,000 to the building and $10,000 to the contents, were confined to one unit, Colburn said.
He added that at least one family was displaced as a result of the fire.
Earlier on Tuesday at 8:46 a.m., firefighters also put out a toaster oven fire at Starbucks located at 1364 Park St. Firefighters checked for extension into the wall, and removed the appliance. Fire damage was limited to the appliance.
No injuries were reported in either of the fires.