From the Alameda Police Department
The holiday shopping season has arrived. It can be a time of great joy and also a lot of stress with the added people and cars all rushing to get things done.
Criminals bank on this distracted mindset and they are just waiting for an opportunity to strike. The most important thing you can do is be aware of your surroundings at all times, but here are a few other helpful tips:
- Don’t let your smart phone make a dummy out of you by distracting you of who or what is around you.
- Program APD’s non-emergency number 510/337-8311 as well as the alternate hard-line number for 911 - 510/522-2423.
- Carry your handbag/purse as close to your body as possible.
- Try to shop during the day time hours or park in well lit areas at night. Consider bringing a friend or family member with you. Safety in numbers!
- Carry minimal amounts of cash.
- Have credit card numbers and customer service numbers written down at home, just in case…
- If your card(s) are lost or stolen call the credit card company immediately and report the loss.
- Don’t overload yourself with packages.
- If you must leave purchases in your vehicle place them in the trunk or out of public view.
- When walking from a store to the parking lot, have your keys in hand.
- When unloading the contents of a shopping cart into your vehicle, do not leave your purse unattended in the shopping cart.
- Be mindful of anyone who approaches you in a parking lot or in a store. This is the time of year when “con-artists” are hard at work.
- Wear minimal amounts of jewelry.
- Look out for yourself as well as those around you.
Our Alameda Police Department Volunteers will be at local shopping centers conducting safety mall patrols. Volunteers are easily identified by their white shirts with the APD patches on the shoulders.
Volunteers are not to take police action but they are there to report emergencies and/or suspicious activity.
We wish you a happy and safe holiday shopping season!